DVLA New Applications
Applying for a provisional driving licence? Do so by dialling the DVLA on 0843 504 7312.
Your provisional driving license can be applied for quickly and securely online, however there are some basic requirements which must be met first.
- Age – applications for a provisional licence can be made at 15 years and 9 months of age, however it not legal for you to drive a moped or light quad bike until 16yrs and 17yrs if driving a car.
Please note that there are exceptions to the rule, for example if you claim the Personal Independence Payment and receive the enhanced rate of the ‘mobility component’ it is typically possible to drive at 16 years old.
- UK Residency – application also relies on you being a resident within Great Britain. Different rules apply if living with Northern Ireland.
- Eyesight Requirements – applicants must meet the basic eyesight standard which can be found at gov.uk/driving-eyesight-rules
- Previous Convictions – you must not have been previously prevented for driving.
There is also some essential information you will need to significantly speed the application process, these are:
- National Insurance number
- Address details for the past 3 years
- Valid passport or alternative yet recognised form of ID such as an EEA card, BRP card, birth certificate, marriage certificate, a DWP letter featuring your details or a student union/college card
- Please note that the DVLA may need to confirm your personal details with records held by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and HM Revenues and Customs (HMRC).
Driving license costs
The cost of a provisional driving license is £34 and £20 for a replacement and can be paid by MasterCard, Visa, Electron, Maestro or Delta debit or credit card.
How long do I have to wait for my ‘provisional license’?
Online applications can be conducted at www.motoring.direct.gov.uk and should take approximately 1 week to complete, however postal applications take a little longer at around 3 weeks.
Postal applications require a D1 form which is available via the post office or DVLA form ordering service – click onto www.gov.uk/dvlaforms for more information.
If you have any problems or require assistance during the application process please don’t hesitate to get in touch with the DVLA directly via 0843 504 7312.
Informing the DVLA of a medical condition
When applying for your provisional or permanent driving license it is essential that you also inform the DVLA of any medical conditions. In fact, failure to do so may result in prosecution and a hefty fine.
Aged 70+ yrs and applying for your first driving license?
The great thing is that you can make an online application completely free of charge via www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence-at-70#before-you-start.
Are you aware that if aged 70 years or over you must apply for a new driver’s license every 3 years? It is important to do this as soon as possible if your licence has expired or is about to expire within 90 days.
Should you require more information please don’t hesitate to get in touch with the DVLA customer services on 0843 504 7312.